Estate Chardonnay 2018
Straw gold in colour. Intense and complex aromatics. We’re branching into stone fruit territory with the extra ripeness afforded us by the warmer season, there’s still lovely complex citrus and lemon curd there though. The oak is present but harmonious working with the fruit to add complexity.
- Composition: Chardonnay
- Vineyards: Passing Clouds Musk Estate Vineyard
- Region: Macedon Ranges
- Harvest: March 30th 2018
- Harvest pH: 3.13
- Harvest BÉ: 13
- Bottled: February 2019
86% of the fruit was gently whole bunch pressed and settled overnight before making its way to barrel. The remaining 14% was crushed and destemmed and spent 24 hours on skins prior to being pressed, settled and put to barrel. 65% of the barrels were fermented without the addition of yeast, with the balance being inoculated with various strains.
All barrels underwent fortnightly battonage (lees stirring) and underwent a partial natural malolactic fermentation in barrel. Matured for 10 months in French oak hogsheads, 22% new, 22% one year old, 22% two years old and the balance seasoned.
No fining, minimal sulfites, sterile filtration. Bottled - February 2019.
Vineyard, Vintage Notes
Our Musk Estate vineyard is on a very cool site with a top elevation of 742m above sea level. It is north facing with volcanic soils. The modified wide T trellis gives us good penetration of sunlight and wind, reducing disease pressure and increasing vine balance and its ability to ripen the fruit evenly.
We manage the vineyard according to regenerative agricultural practices. This is a way of farming using a set of principles that enrich soils and increase their carbon storage capacity dramatically, increase biodiversity, improve the water cycle and enhance the overall ecosystem of the farm. Please contact us for more information.
The vineyard is spur-pruned by hand to two buds per spur, reducing yield and controlling vine vigour. Further shoot thinning, and defoliation occurs later in the season, again by hand, to allow further sunlight penetration and maximising air flow around the bunches.
2018 was one of the best seasons we’ve had at our Estate site. Bud burst was a week early and was followed by a dry, warm season, which are the ones we love at Musk. Harvest was very early, just sneaking into March.
You may also enjoy
kilmore pinot noir 2018
Members: $26.10Sourced from the Quarry Ridge vineyard just outside Kilmore. Displays classic pinosity and is super approachable.
bendigo shiraz 2016
Members: $30.60Bendigo is the perfect climate for full flavoured, elegant Shiraz
macedon ranges chardonnay 2018
Members: $26.10It is vibrant and zippy - and tha tis its fun!
serpentine shiraz 2016
Members: $47.70Sourced entirely from the Serpentine vineyard this is a powerful wine of longevity.
Wine Allocation Program
Being a member of the Passing Clouds Wine Allocation Program ensures your access to our often hard to find wines as well as giving you a host of members only privileges.